Saturday, May 24, 2014

Waffles, ice-cream and syrup



I think I may have mentioned here before, that Autumn is by far my favourite season here in the Lowveld.  The days are beautiful, the sky crystal clear and the most beautiful of blues.  And of course the intense heat makes way for a lush coolness.  

Our family schedule also calms down a bit after a hectic show season through summer and we get to spend lazier days in the garden and greenhouses.  Lunch today was a bit of a cheat and consisted of waffles and ice-cream.  Everybody deserves a bit of sweetness every now and then and the kids simply loved it.

They are giggling in the garden, under the huge trees as I am typing this.  Happy laughs.





Waffles:

1.5 cups cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup sunflower oil
2 tsp sugar

Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl and the wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Fold the dry ingredients into the bet ingredients and mix to a smooth batter consistency.  Let the mixture stand for about 20 minutes.  Bake in a waffle maker until cooked through.  Serve warm with ice-cream and syrup.

Note:  I have an ancient waffle iron that I inherited from my mom.  It goes straight onto a gas flame and needs a bit of oil to grease.  I have not tried these in an electric version, but I am convinced it will work.

No comments:

Post a Comment